There is no breakfast in bed, of course.
By the time we have finished with our waking and our washing, sacred morning rituals observed carefully without haste or hurry, the day’s first light has already found its way into our humble sanctuary. We have to leave and head for work. A week similar to everyone else’s, we will join the throngs scrambling for the offices, eager to get our nine-to-five done and over with.
But first, we will feed ourselves.
Not in bed, of course; we’ve already covered that. No reason not to have our first meal with grace and in silence. One of us will boil the water for the coffee; the other fetches the bread and the spreads, be it a trustworthy bottle of natural peanut butter or the unseasonal kaya, homemade and fragrant. The smell of fresh coconut and warm eggs in the morning is intoxicating, even if it’s just a memory enveloped in a jar of our favourite jam.
If we have prepared some sweet dessert the night before, we can have that, ladled slowly into large bowls so their steam may wake us up a little further. Dried fruits — longans, dates, wolfberries — blossom into flesh again, a sweet ghost of their former selves. A miracle double-boiled in rock sugar.
We don’t speak much; we don’t have to when we’ve done this so many times before. Waking first and then breaking our fast. A small meal, enough to satisfy the early pangs of hunger, yet in its own way a minor feast.
To begin each day in the company of the one you love, isn’t that reason enough to celebrate?
— read more food stories below —
- A Cup of Coffee
- A Sense of Sushi
- Ad Hog (or How The Babitarians Anonymous Got Their Groove Back)
- Angkoo, What?
- Baskin Robbins Dreams
- Bowl Me Over
- Breakfast in Bed
- Chocolat, Champagne et Chanson
- Devil Wears Prada & his Heavenly Nuts
- Din Tai Fung, or Grateful Are We for the Steadfast, the Simple and the Always Good
- Durians for Delilah
- Eat Drink Man Udon
- Fresh Strawberries & Vanilla Häagen-Dazs®
- Fried Chillies & Feisty Chicks
- Happiness is a Warm Bun
- How to Bake a Better Butter Cake
- How to Make Angkoo Kueh
- How to Make Japanese Curry and a Devil Happy
- I Dream of Durians
- il Lido
- In & Out
- Kitchen Confessional
- Like Tea for Tai-Tai’s
- Meet The Floggers
- More Than Nasi Lemak, or An Ode to the Girl from Abu Dhabi
- Persimmon Passion Flute
- Pureglutton’s Potluck Party
- Sausages & Scrabble
- Seasons of Love
- The Baker, the Baroness & the Delectable Devil
- The Ballad of the Sang Har Meen & the Beef Hor Fun
- The Bounciest (Fish) Balls in Taiwan!
- The Domestic Goddess (and Her Boys)
- The End of the Affair
- The Golden Brew
- The Joy of Home Cooking
- Tonkatsu by Wa Kitchen
- Winter’s Dumplings
- Yakitori Express
- You Taste Like Tong Sui